Peter Dahl - Professor
- Phone: 206-543-2667
- Email: email@example.com
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1989
- ME 525: Applied Acoustics
Professor Dahl's research is in the area of acoustics, with primary focus on underwater sound. He is a member of the Acoustics Department of the Applied Physics Laboratory. His research includes:
- Underwater acoustic remote sensing
- Acoustic scattering and reflection from the sea surface and sea bed
- Vector acoustics
- Underwater ambient noise and studies on reducing underwater noise from marine pile driving
For examples of his research see: Acoustics Research in Mechanical Engineering and at the Applied Physics Laboratory.
Dahl has conducted several ocean-going experiments in underwater acoustics, including the Asian Seas International Acoustics Experiment (ASIAEX) sponsored by the U.S. Office of Naval Research and conducted in the East China Sea involving the U.S., China and Korea. Prof. Dahl was the U.S. chief scientist for ASIAEX.
Professor Dahl is a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA), has served as the chair of the ASA technical committee on Underwater Acoustics (2002-2005), on its Executive Council (2008-2011), and in 2012 was elected ASA Vice President.
Selected Recent Publications
- D. R. Dall'Osto, P. H. Dahl, and J. W. Choi. "Properties of the acoustic intensity vector field in a shallow water waveguide." J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 131 (3) 2023-2035, Mar. 2012.
- P.G. Reinhall and P. H. Dahl. "Underwater Mach wave radiation from impact pile driving: Theory and observation." J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 127 96-103, Sep. 2011.
- P. H. Dahl. "Observations and modeling of angular compression and vertical spatial coherence in sea surface forward scattering." J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 127 96-103, Jan. 2010.
- J. W. Choi, P. H. Dahl, and J. Goff. "Observations of the R-reflector and sediment interface reflection at the Shallow Water 06 Central Site." J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Express Letters, 124 (3) 128-134, Sep. 2008.
- J. W. Choi and P. H. Dahl. "Spectral properties of the interference head wave." J. Acoust. Soc. Am., (6), 146-150, July 2007.
- P. H. Dahl. "High-Frequency Underwater Sound," a 19-page self-contained chapter In: Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, J. G. Webster, Ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1-19, October 2007.
- P. H. Dahl, J. H. Miller, D. H. Cato, and R. K. Andrew. "Underwater Ambient Noise." Acoustics Today, 23-33, January 2007.
- P. H. Dahl and J. W. Choi. "Precursor arrivals in the Yellow Sea, their distinction from first-order head waves, and their geoacoustic inversion." J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 120 (6), 3525-3533, December 2006.
- P. H. Dahl. "Forward Scattering from the Sea Surface and the van Cittert-Zernike Theorem." J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 115 (2), 589-599, February 2004.
- R.C. Spindel, J. Na, P. H. Dahl, S. Oh, C. Eggen, Y.G. Kim, V.A. Akulichev and Y. N. Morgunov. "Acoustic Tomography for Monitoring the Sea of Japan: A Pilot Experiment." IEEE J. Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 28, 297-302, April 2003.