Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Nabtesco Endowed Chair in Mechanical Engineering
- Office: MEB 263
- Center for Intelligent Materials and Systems (CIMS) website
- PhD, Northwestern University, 1977
- Mechanics, Materials and Design
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- School of Dentistry, Oral Health Science
- Center for Intelligent Materials and Systems
- ME 551: Elasticity I: Elastostatics, Winter Quarter, 2002
- ME 552: Elasticity II: Viscoelasticity/Plasticity, Spring Quarter, 2002
- ME/MSE 562: Electronic Composites, Spring Quarter 2003
- ME/MSE 485: Electronic Packaging and Materials (EPM), Winter Quarter
- ME/MSE 487: EPM Laboratory, Winter Quarter
- CIMS: Center for Intelligent Materials and Systems
Dr. Minoru Taya has been a Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and Adjunct Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, and Electrical Engineering at the University of Washington since 1986. Most recently he became an Adjunct Professor for the School of Dentistry, Oral Health Science , UW. He received a Bachelor of Engineering in 1968 from the University of Tokyo, Japan; Master of Science in Civil Engineering in 1973 and Doctor of Philosophy in Theoretical Applied Mechanics in 1977, both from Northwestern University.
Dr. Taya is currently director of the Center for Intelligent Materials and Systems (CIMS). The intelligent materials that he has been studying are shape memory alloys (SMA), ferromagnetic SMA (FSMA), piezo-composites, electro- and photo-active polymers, and designed actuators based on these materials, including compact ferromagnetic SMA spring actuators, which provides a large stroke and reasonably large force at very high actuation speed. The FSMA actuators are for use in unmanned aircrafts and unmanned ground rover, as well as robotic arms. The electroactive polymers (EAPs) include hydrogels such as Nafion and Flemion, and electrochromic polymers. These EAPs are the key materials for fish fin actuators, smart antenna and smart window technology. In addition, Dr. Taya has been working on design and processing of several energy-harvesting materials and systems; (i) energy-harvesting electrochromic window (NSF-EFRI) and thermoelectric modules with low-cost and light-weight for UAV combustion chambers (AFOSR). Most recently, Dr. Taya has been working on oral implant materials based on toxic-free SMAs.
Dr. Taya served as Associate Editor for Materials Science and Engineering-A, and ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, and chair of the Electronic Materials Committee of ASME Materials Division. Dr. Taya is Fellow of ASME, American Academy of Mechanics, and International Editorial Board member of Advanced Composite Materials.
Dr. Taya has written two monograph books, (i) Metal matrix composites with R.J. Arsenault, Pergamon Press, 1989, and (ii) Electronic Composites, Cambridge University Press, 2005, and currently writing third book, “Bioinspired active and sensing materials and systems” in collaboration with several biologists.
Selected Recent Publications
- Taya, M., Kim, W.J., and Ono, K. "Piezoresistivity of a short fiber/elastomer matrix composite", Mechanics of Materials,, Vol. 28, 1998, pp. 53-59.
- Tamagawa, H., Popovic, S., and Taya, M., "Pores and diffusion characteristics of porous gels", Polymer, 41, 2000, pp. 7201-7207.
- Almajid, A., Taya, M. and Hudnet, S., "Analysis of Out-of-plane Displacement and Stress Field in a Piezoelectric Composite with Functionally Graded Microstructure", Intl. J. Solids and Structures, 38, 2001, pp. 3377-3391.
- Liang, Y., Kato, H., Taya, M., Mori, T., "Infinitesimal approach to the crystallography of Martensitic transformation: application to Ni-Ti", Scripta Materia, 43, 2000, pp. 535-540.
- Liang, Y., Kato, H., Taya, M. and Mori, T., "Straining of Ni-23Mn-27Ga by Martensitic transformation under stress and magnetic fields", Scripta Materia, 2001, Vol. 45, pp. 569-574.
- Nozaki, H., Horibe, T., and Taya, M., "The Stress Filled Caused by a Polygonal Inclusion ", JSME International Journal, Series A, , 2001, Vol. 44, No.4, pp. 472-482.
- Nozaki, H. and Taya, M., "Elastic Fields in a Polyhedral Inclusion with Uniform Eigenstrains and Related Problems", J. Applied Mechanics, May 2001, Vol.68, pp. 1-12.
- Uchida, M., and Taya, M., "Solid Polymer Electrolyte Actuator using Electrode Reaction", Polymer, 2001, Vol.42, pp. 9281-9285.
- Kato, H., Wada, T., Liang, Y., Tagawa, T., Taya, M., Mori, T. "Martensite Structure in Polycrystalline Fe-Pd", in press, Materials Science and Engineering-A, A332 (2002), 134-139.
- Kato, H., Liang, Y., and Taya, M., "Stress-induced Fcc/Fct phase Transformation in Fe-Pd Alloy", Script Materia, Vol.46, 2002, pp. 471-475.
- Wada, T., Tagawa, T., and Taya, M., "Martensite Transformation of Pd-Rich Fe-Pd-Pt Alloy", Script Materia, Vol.48, 2003, pp. 207-211.
- Liang, Y., Wada, T., Kato, H., Taya, M. and Mori, T. "Straining of Polycrystal of Fe-Pd with Martensite Structure by Uniaxial Loading", Materials Science and Engineering-A A338 (2002), 89-96.
- Almajid, A., and Taya, M., "2D-Elasticity Analysis of FGM Piezo-Laminate under Cylindrical Bending", Intell, Mater. Sys. & Structs., 12, 341-351, 2001.
- Toi, Y., Lee, J., and Taya, M., "Finite Element Analysis of Superelastic Behavior of Shape Memory Alloy Devices Part 1: Small Deformation Analysis of Tensile and Bending Behavior", Bull, Trans, JSME, Vol.68, No.676, 1695-1701, 2002.
- Toi, Y, Lee, J, and Taya, M., "Finite Element Analysis of Superelastic Behavior of Shape Memory Alloy Devices Part 2: Finite Deformation Analysis of Beams and Helical Springs", Bull, Trans, JSME, Vol.68, No.676, 1695-1701, 2002.
- Lu, J.F., Takagi, K., Ono, M., Pan, W., Watanabe, R., Almajid, A., and Taya, M., "Fabrication and Evaluation of Porous Piezoelectric Ceramics and Porosity-Graded Piezoelectric Actuators", J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 2003, Vol. 86, pp. 1094-1098.
- Le Guillly, M., Uchida, M., and Taya, M., "Nafion-based smart membrane as a multiarrayed actuator", proceedings of SPIE on Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices, vol. 4695, San Diego, March 17-21, 2002, Vol.4685, pp. 76-84.
- Xu, C., Tamagawa, H., and Taya, M., "Enhanced contrast ratios and rapid switching color changeable device based on poly (3.4-propylenediosythiophene) derivative and counter electrode", proceedings of SPIE on Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices, Vol. 4695, San Diego, March 17-21, 2002, Vol.4695, pp. 442-4695.
- Taya, M., "Design of Bio-inspired Active Materials" (invited paper), Proc. of SPIE Symposium on Electroactive Polymers and Devices, Ed. Y. Bar-Cohen, San Diego, CA, March 2-6, 2003, in press.
- Le Guilly, M., Taya, M., and Xu, C., "Arrayed Actuators Based on Flemion" Proc. of SPIE Symposium on Electroactive Polymers and Devices, Ed. Y. Bar-Cohen, San Diego, CA, March 2-6, 2003, in press.
- Xu, C., Legenski, S., Liu, L., and Taya, M., "Enhanced Smart Window based on two types of electrochromic polymers", Proc. of SPIE Symposium on Electroactive Polymers and Devices, Ed. Y. Bar-Cohen, San Diego, CA, March 2-6, 2003, in press.
- Sutou, Y., Oikawa, K., Kainuma, R., Ishida, K., and Taya, M., "Transformation behavior of Co-Ni-Al Ferromagnetic Shape Memory Alloys", Proc. on Active Materials, San Diego, CA, March 2-6, 2003, in press.
- Liang, Y., Taya, M., and Kuga, Y., "Design of Diaphragm actuators based on NiTi/Ferromagnetic Material", Proc. of SPIE Symposium on Aerospace Applications, Ed. E. White, San Diego, CA, March 2-6, 2003, in press.
- Wada, T., Taya, M., Chen, H.H., Kusaka, M., "Design of Spring Actuators made of Ferromagnetic Shape Memory Alloys and Composites", Proc. of SPIE Symposium on Applications, Ed. E. White, San Diego, CA, March 2-6, 2003, in press.
- Taya, M., Wada, T., Lee, C.C., "Design of Torque actuators based on ferromagnetic shape memory alloy composites", Proc. of SPIE Symposium on Applications, Ed. E. White, San Diego, CA, March 2-6, 2003, in press.
- Takagi, K., Li, J.F., Watanabe, R., Almajid, A., and Taya, M., "Development of Piezoelectric Ceramic Actuators with Graded Porosity", Proc. 7th Intl. Symp on Functionally Graded Materials, Oct. 15-18, 2002, Beijing, eds. W. Pan and J.G. Gong, L.M Zhang, and L.D. Chen, J. Mater. Forum, Vol. 423-425, (2003), pp. 405-410.