- Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University
- B.S. in Applied and Engineering Physics, Cornell University
- Post-Doctoral Work at MIT CSAIL
I use robots to make novel materials and manufacturing methods, and I use novel materials and manufacturing methods to make robots.
- J. I. Lipton, R. MacCurdy, Z. Manchester, L. Chin, D. Celluci, and D. Rus, “Handedness in Shearing Auxetics Creates Rigid and Compliant Structures ", Science 360, 632-635 (2018).
- J. I. Lipton, and H. Lipson, “3D Printing Variable Stiffness Foams Using Viscous Thread Instability", Nat. Sci. Rep. 6, 29996 (2015).
- J. I. Lipton, M. Cutler, F. Nigl D. Cohen, and H. Lipson, “Additive Manufacturing for the Food Industry", Trends in Food Science & Technology 43(1), 114-123 (2015).
- L. Chin, J. I. Lipton, M. Yuen, , R. Kramer-Bottiglio, and D.Rus, “Automated Recycling Separation Enabled by Soft Robotic Material Classification (Best Poster Winner)", IEEE International Conference on Soft Robotics (RoboSoft) , (2019).
- J. I. Lipton, A. Schulz, A. Spielberg, L. Trueba, W. Matusik and D. Rus, “Robot Assisted Carpentry for Mass Customization", IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, (2018).
- J. I. Lipton, R. MacCurdy, S. Li,and D. Rus, “Printable Programmable Viscoelastic Materials for Robots", IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems , 2628-2635 (2016).
- J. I. Lipton, et al, “Fab@Home Model 3: A More Robust, Cost Effective and Accessible Open Hardware Fabrication Platform", International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium 23, 125-135 (2012).
NASA selects futuristic concept for further study
The study will examine whether a structure small enough to fit inside a rocket fairing could expand large enough to create artificial gravity.
Together we will
Fabrication engineers help meet the need for medical supplies due to COVID-19.
UW’s 3D printed COVID-19 face shields
3D printers across the UW's three campuses were running 24/7 to print face shields for health care workers.