- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin, 1985
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, 1979
Professor Ganter is involved in applied computational geometry, solid modeling and computer graphics. His main research activities focus on application of computational techniques to engineering problems.
His research involves the development of new data representation for solid modeling (termed implicit solid modeling or F-Reps), development of implicit solids for design, development of implicit solids for layered manufacturing, and extension of techniques for skeleton generation for implicit solid modeling.
Professor Ganter's current work focuses on 3D volume (voxel) space representations, object segmentation (including biological), and wavelets representations of volume data. He is involved in the development of new materials and processes for 3D printing and 3D printing systems (including ceramic and ceramic/glass printing materials) including multi-material systems.
His prior research work includes cam design, wire-frame to solid modeling data conversion, solid modeling development, swept solids, 3-D convex hull algorithms, dynamic collision detection, surface-surface intersection algorithms, the collection of rule sets and implementation of a molding parting line development system, the use and extension of feature extraction techniques of solid modeling for the development of molding patterns, and fusion of multi-spectral vision images for improved machine vision and recognition.
- Weiss, B.; Storti, D.; Ganter, M. “Low-Cost Closed-Loop Control of a 3D Printer Gantry.” Rapid Prototyping Journal. 2015.
- Peterson, G.; Yurtoglu, M.; Larsen, M.; Craig, S. L.; Ganter, M.; Storti, D.; Boydston, A. “Additive Manufacturing of Mechanochromic Polycaprolactone on Entry-Level Systems.” Rapid Prototyping Journal. 2015.
- Peterson, G.; Larsen, M.; Storti, D.; Ganter, M.; Boydston, A. “3DPrinted Mechanochromic Materials” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2015, 7, 577-583. (Highlighted by C&E News; featured in UW Today February 9, 2015.).
- Ganter, M.; Storti, D.; Marchelli, G.; Gramling, A. “3D-printing of glass ceramic composites.” Proceedings of Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering Conference, Seattle, WA, June 2014.
- Marchelli, G.; Ledoux, W.; Isvilanonda, V.; Ganter, M.; Storti, D. “Joint-specific distance thresholds for patient-specific articular cartilage modeling in the first ray of the foot.” Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing Journal, 52(9), (2014): 773-779.
- Marchelli, G.; Haynor, D.; Ledoux, W.; Ganter, M.; Storti D. “Graphical user interface for human intervention in 2D-3D registration of medical images.” Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Multibody Systems, Nonlinear Dynamics and Control, MSNDC, Portland, OR, Paper# DETC2013-13659, August, 2013.
- Marchelli, G.; Ganter, M.; Storti, D. “Highly Porous 3D Printed Stoneware Ceramic.” Journal of Ceramic Science and Technology, 3(1), 2012.
- Marchelli, G.; Ledoux, W.; Isvilanonda, V.; Ganter, M.; Storti, D. “An automated method for creation of patient-specific volumetric articular cartilage models in the human foot.” Proceedings of the 2011 Design of Medical Devices Conference, Minneapolis, MN, USA, April, 2011.
- Marchelli, G.; Ledoux, W.; Isvilanonda, V.; Storti, D.; Ganter, M. “An Automated Method for Creation of Patient-Specific Volumetric Articular Cartilage Elements in the Human Foot,” Journal of Medical Devices, v5 n2 (2011): 027515.
- Marchelli, G., Prabhakar, R., Storti, D., Ganter, M., “The Guide to 3D Glass Printing: Developments, Methods, Diagnostics and Results,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, 17(3), 2011.
- Wyman, C.; Ganter, M.; Storti, D. “Kiln-casting glass in direct printed molds.” The Twenty-Second International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, Austin, Texas, August 8-10, 2011.
- Blanding, R.; Brooking, C.; Ganter, M.; Storti, D. "A Skeletal-Based Solid Editor." Proceedings of ACM Fifth Symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications, Ann Arbor, MI, pp 141-150, June 1999.
- Storti, D.; Turkiyyah, G.; Ganter, M.; Lim, C.; Stal, D. "Skeleton-based Modeling Operations on Solids." Proceedings of ACM Fourth Solid Modeling and Applications, Atlanta, GA, pp. 141-154, May 1997.
- Lim, C.; Turkiyyah, G.; Ganter, M.; Storti, D. “Implicit Reconstruction of Solids from Cloud Point Sets.” Proceedings of ACM Third Symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications, Eds. J. Rossignac and C. Hoffmann, ACM Press, NY, pp. 393-402, 1995.