Department resources and policies

After hours building permits are available to any ME or IE student with a current student ID. These cards are filled out by request in MEB 132 and authorized by the Administrator. The permit will work only in conjunction with a student ID. If you are in the building after normal hours and do not have a pass, the UW Police will eject you from the building.

Mechanical Engineering keys are given out to faculty, staff, graduate students and some undergraduate students. Those needing keys should fill out the key request form, and after completing the form, print it out and give it to their advisor, supervisor or professor for signature. Turn in the completed form to either 143A or 132. The key will be ready either on Tuesday or Thursday depending on the time schedules of the shipping and receiving clerks. Keys may not be transferred to another person. Keys being used by any unauthorized person will be confiscated. See Building Permits for information on after hours building access.

You may register for lockers during the first two weeks of an academic quarter. After locating a vacant locker, come to room 132, or 143A, to fill out a locker request form and receive a lock combination. Lockers are issued to ME / IE students on first come, first served basis. Locker fee is $5.00, exactly, as we cannot make change!

Lockers are rented per academic quarter. You may register in advance, up to maximum of four academic quarters, beginning autumn quarter. Lockers must be cleared out after summer quarter ends. If your locker is not renewed by the renewal date, we will remove your belongings and charge you a $5.00 storage fee. Confiscated items will be held in room 132 until discard date. If you remove a lock, and lose it, you will be charged $5.00.

The mail room is open to faculty and staff only. Incoming mail for faculty or staff can be placed in the "Faculty Mail" box located in MEB 143. Please be sure to put the recipient's name on all incoming mail. Graduate student mail and outgoing on- and off-campus mail can also be placed in the boxes located in MEB 143.

See for more information

Paychecks for all faculty, staff, TAs and RAs on the ME payroll are placed in the mailboxes after 11:30 am on the 10th and 25th of each month. Students receiving a check must come to the box in MEB 143A. If the 10th or 25th falls on a Saturday, paychecks will be distributed on the preceding Friday. If the 10th or 25th falls on a Sunday, paychecks will be distributed on the following Monday.

If you wish to have your paycheck deposited directly in your bank account, please obtain a Direct Deposit form from the payroll coordinator (MEB 143A). The completed form will then be submitted to the UW payroll office. It will take about two pay periods before your paycheck will begin to be directly deposited. When it goes into effect, instead of receiving a check you will be issued a white Direct Deposit "Advice" slip which has printed on it all the information that would have appeared on your check (gross/net amounts, itemized deductions, etc.). The Direct Deposit slip will then be put into your mailbox. Direct Deposit slips for all students are put in the graduate student mailboxes in MEB 143.

The Mechanical Engineering Building is supplied with recycling stations on the first and second floors which are emptied by the custodians. In addition to these stands there are recycling bags located in the following areas by floor: Ground: G7; First: 123B, 119; Second: 225, 226, 251, faculty and student lounges; Third: across the hall from the elevator. White paper is placed in the white bags. Colored and mixed paper, or paper with any kind of ticky substance (envelopes, things with labels on them, etc.), and anything other than white paper (magazines, cards, etc.) is placed into the green bags. Newspapers are placed in the blue bags. Ream wrappers for copier paper have been chemically treated and are not recyclable. Cardboard boxes are flattened and placed in between the aluminum and newspaper stands on the first floor. When recycling bags are full, please remove them from the rack and close the top for pickup by custodians; they should contain no more than 35 lbs of paper.

TAs are assigned rooms and desks through the Graduate Program Coordinator in MEB 143C on a space-available basis. RAs are assigned rooms and desks largely through their faculty sponsors, also depending on the availability of space.

Because most orders need to be checked, all packages are taken to MEB 132 for processing. We need the information to insure we only pay for what we have received.

Faculty and Staff
Upon receipt of a package you will be notified with an email. If there are questions we need answered for inventory, we do need a response to the email.Your package will be put under or above the mailboxes, with your name on it. Your help in removing these will be appreciated. Larger boxes will be left in 132 or G32.

Graduate Students
If the order has been made by your RA, they will get an email, but the package will be left in room 132 for pickup during their posted hours.

Supplies stored in the main office (MEB 143) and copy room (MEB 140) are expressly for instructional purposes and not for personal, private, or research use. Cupboards and drawers with supplies are labeled for easy access. If supplies appear to be low or are missing, please notify the receptionist. Staplers, scissors, tape, pens, white-out, paper, etc. are available for use.

Transparencies (for use with overhead projectors) are kept in MEB 140 on the table and are especially for use in the copier machine. These are provided for instructional and research purposes only and must be signed out in the "Transparency Log." Use the correct budget number (e.g. "63-9999") assigned by the professor with whom you are working. Transparencies used for research must be charged to a 6-digit research number. Transparencies are charged to budgets at 60 cents each.

Contact Jennifer McEwen in MEB 143A about UW travel policies before making any arrangements for travel. If UW travel policies are not complied with, it is difficult to get travel expenses properly reimbursed.