- (206) 543-4910
- MEB 306
- Multiphase & Cardiovascular Flow Lab
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of California, San Diego, 2004
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of California, San Diego, 2000
- B.S./M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, School of Aeronautics (ETSIA) Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, 1998
Professor Aliseda's research and teaching focuses on fluid mechanics with applications to energy, environmental, and biomedical flows. In particular, he is interested in the dynamics of multiphase flows, such as bubbles in water and droplets in air. This type of flows arise in many engineering and environmental problems such as the exchange of gases between the atmosphere and the ocean, the formation of rain drops in clouds, the atomization of liquids in combustion and manufacturing processes and the dynamics of microbubbles injected in the human circulation to enhance ultrasound imaging and therapeutic use.
Professor Aliseda uses a large number of experimental techniques (laser doppler velocimetry, laser induced fluorescence, particle image velocimetry, hot-wire anemometry, phase doppler particle analysis, etc.) to gain insight into the fundamental physics of these complex flows. He complements these experimental studies with mathematical analysis and modeling in order to extract useful information that can be applied outside the laboratory in real world problems.
- Levitt, M. R., McGah, P., Aliseda, A., Mourad P., Nerva, J. D., Vaidya, S.S., Morton, R. P., Ghodke, B. V., Kim, L. J. 2013 "Cerebral aneurysms treated with flow-diverting stents: Computational models using intravascular blood flow measurements" Am. J. Neuroradiology, In Press.
- McGah, P., Leotta, D., Beach, K., Zierler, R.E., Aliseda, A. 2013 "Incomplete Restoration of Homeostatic Shear Stress within Arteriovenous Fistulae" Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 135 (1) pp 1-9, DOI: 10.1115/1.4023133.
- Seydel, J., Aliseda, A. 2013 "Wind turbine performance in shear ﬂow and in the wake of another turbine through high ﬁdelity moving mesh numerical simulations" Wind Energy, 16 (1), pp. 123-138. DOI: 10.1002/we.535.
- McGah, P., Leotta, D., Beach, K., Riley, J., Aliseda, A. (2012) "The impact of flow stresses on remodeling of peripheral artery bypass graft: intimal hyperplasia at the stenosis and vessel wall dilatation in the post-stenotic region" Journal of Vascular Surgery, 56 (2), pp 403-409. DOI:10.1016/j.jvs.2012.01.045.
- Bateson, C., Aliseda, A. (2012) "Experimental study of droplet collisions in homogeneous isotropic turbulence " Experiments in Fluids, 52 (6), pp 1373-1387, DOI: 10.1007/s00348-011-1252-6.
- Bolleddula, D., Berchielli, A., Aliseda, A. (2011) "Impact of a heterogeneous liquid droplet on a dry surface: application to the pharmaceutical industry " Advances in Colloid and Interface Science 159 (2), pp 144-159.
- Aliseda, A. and Lasheras, J.C. (2011) "Rising velocity of microbubbles in a homogeneous isotropic turbulent flow " Physics of Fluids 23 (9), 093301-1-11 DOI:10.1063/1.3626404.
- Aliseda, A., Hopfinger, E., Lasheras, J.C., Kremer, D.M., Berchielli, A., Connolly, E.K. (2008) "Atomization of Viscous and Non-Newtonian Liquids by a Coaxial High Speed Gas Jet. Experiments and Droplet Size Modeling" International Journal of Multiphase Flow 34 2, pp161-175.
- Aliseda, A. and Lasheras, J.C. (2006) "Effect of buoyancy on the dynamics of a turbulent boundary layer laden with microbubbles" Journal of Fluid Mechanics Vol 559: 307-334.
- Aliseda, A., Cartellier, A., Hainaux, F. and Lasheras, J.C. (2002) "Effect of preferential concentration on the settling velocity of heavy particles in homogeneous isotropic turbulence" Journal of Fluid Mechanics Vol 468: 77-105.