Partnerships between industry and the Mechanical Engineering Department are mutually beneficial arrangements that help push the boundaries of applied research and innovation. Industry sponsorship of research, professorships and labs creates opportunities for collaboration between world-class researchers and renowned business leaders. Industry support also improves the quality of student education, which helps create extraordinary future generations of mechanical engineers.
Ways to engage
- Give directly to the department
- Support undergraduate and graduate students via scholarships
- Sponsor student teams and capstone projects
- Recruit students for internships and full-time jobs
- Support faculty via sponsored research projects or with permanent support via endowed professorships
- Sponsor grants or collaborate with faculty on grant applications
- Serve as a speaker at the Leadership Seminars or Industry Seminars
- Donate in-kind equipment
Interested in proposing another type of industry collaboration? Contact Valerie Overlan at email@example.com.
Washington Innovation Advantage
Concerned about intellectual property rights? The Washington Innovation Advantage allows sponsors and UW researchers to opt into set financial terms for non-exclusive or exclusive commercial licenses to intellectual property upfront. Companies can license intellectual property before a project begins, streamlining execution of sponsored project agreements, reducing financial uncertainty for sponsors, and minimizing time spent on licensing negotiations. Learn more about the Pre-packaged IP Program
The following companies are major supporters of the ME Department.
External Advisory Board
Along with distinguished alumni and friends, our industry partners also support the department by serving on the External Advisory Board, which provides counsel to faculty, mentoring to students, volunteer leadership in experiential-learning programs, advocacy for the Department and vital connections to industry.