Dr. Novosselov joined the department in 2014. Prior to joining the department, he worked as an R&D Manager and Sr. Research Scientist developing aerosol sampling instrumentation for nanoparticles, biological and chemical aerosols. His previous projects focused on characterization using the underlying physical principles governing particulate matter formation, the behavior of aerosol in the environment, and aerosol analysis. Other research included modeling of pollution formation and stability of the combustion systems using computational fluid dynamics and chemical reactor network modeling.
Selected patents awarded:
- RA Gorder, IV Novosselov, G Kychakoff: Reverse Purge Flow Lenses, US Patent 20,170,276,595, 2017
- Igor V Novosselov, P
Ariessohn: Trapped Vortex Particle-to-Vapor Converter. US Patent 9,744,490,
- Peter C Ariessohn, Igor V Novosselov: Aerosol Collection Apparatus and Methods. US Patent 8539840, 09/24/2013
- Igor V Novosselov, Peter C Ariessohn, Evan D Dengler, Michelle Hickner: Particle interrogation devices and methods. US Patent 8307723, 11/13/2012
- Ariessohn PC, Novosselov IV, Skimmer for Concentrating an Aerosol, US Patent 7875095, 01/25/2011
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington, 2006
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering University of Washington, 2002
- Engineering Diploma, Yaroslavl Polytechnic Institute, Russia, 1993
Novosselov Research Group (NRG) conducts a range of basic and applied research in the areas of fluids dynamics and energy. The multidisciplinary research at the NRG laboratory spans several areas, namely: sampling and analysis of particulate matter, particle surface interaction in the boundary layer, ionized flow near surfaces, combustion aerosol synthesis and deposition, modeled based combustion control, and chemical kinetics in supercritical water reactor. NRG's research in energy and fluids is united by applying the first principles to solve practical problems in Aerosol Science and Energy Conversion systems.
For more information of NRGs current projects, visit the NRG website.
- Gupta, Malte, Brunton, and Novosselov. "Prevention of lean flame blowout using a predictive chemical reactor network control." Fuel v 236 pp 583-588 Jan 2019.
- Kaluri, Malte, Novosselov; Real-Time Prediction of Lean Blowout Using Chemical Reactor Network, Fuel, v 234, December 2018, Pages 797-808, 2018
- Guan, Vaddi, Aliseda, Novosselov; Analytical Model for Electrohydrodynamic Flows, Physics of Plasmas, 25(8), p.083507, 2018
- Pinkard, Gorman, Tiwari, Kramlich, Reinhall, Novosselov; Review of Decomposition of Organic Compounds in Continuous-Flow, Supercritical Water Reactors, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2018, 57 (10), pp 3471–3481
- Guan, Vaddi, Aliseda, Novosselov, Experimental and Numerical Evaluation of Point-to-Ring Electrohydrodynamic Flow, Phys. Rev. Fluids 3, 043701 (2018)
- Njalsson and Novosselov, Design and Optimization of a Compact Low-Cost Optical Particle Sizer , Journal of Aerosol Science, Volume 119, May 2018, Pages 1-12
- He and Novosselov, Design and Evaluation of an Aerodynamic Focusing Micro-Well Aerosol Collector, Aerosol Science and Technology, V51, Issue 9, pp 1061-1026, 2017
- R. Chakrabarty, I. Novosselov, N. Beres, H. Moosmuller, C M Sorenson, and C. Stipe. Gravity-induced Trapping and Aerogelation of Nanoparticles in Hydrocarbon Flames", Applied Physics Letters 104, 243103, 2014
- Igor V. Novosselov, Peter C. Ariessohn, Rectangular Slit Atmospheric Pressure Aerodynamic Lens Aerosol Concentrator, Aerosol Science and Technology, Vol. 48, Iss. 2, 2014
- Novosselov IV, Malte PC, Development and Application of an 8-Step Global Mechanism for CFD and CRN Simulations of Lean-Premixed Combustors, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, v130, n 2, March 2008