Professor Cooper's background combines environmental assessment with product design and management. Her research interests include the development and enhancement of Design for Environment (DFE) methodologies and models, as related to (1) innovative, sustainable, and concurrent technology development, design, and dissemination; (2) life-cycle assessment (LCA) and environmental performance measurement; (3) Industrial Ecology.
Her industrial experience includes product design and development, manufacturing supervision, quality assurance, life cycle management, pollution prevention site assessments, and facility project coordination.
- Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Duke University, 1996
- M.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Duke University
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Professor Cooper directs the Design for Environment (DFE) Lab,
located in the Mechanical Engineering Building room G20. The facility
includes a library of DFE literature and computing resources supported
by computer aided design, materials selection, and Life Cycle Assessment
(LCA) tools and databases. All who are interested in learning more
about DFE research and educational activities are invited to stop by the
- Cooper, J.S., M. Noon, C. Jones, E. Kahn, P. Arbuckle (2013) Big data in life cycle assessment, Journal of Industrial Ecology 17 (6), 796-799.
- Cooper, J.S., E. Kahn (2012) Issues in Data Quality Analysis in Life Cycle Assessment, International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 17(4) 499-503.
- Zumsteg, J., J.S. Cooper, M. Noon (2012) Systematic Review Checklist: A Standardized Technique for Assessing and Reporting Reviews of LCA Data (STARR-LCA), Journal of Industrial Ecology 16 (s1), S12-S21.
- Brandao, M., G. Heath, J.S. Cooper (2012) What Can Meta?Analyses Tell Us About the Reliability of Life Cycle Assessment for Decision Support? Journal of Industrial Ecology 16 (s1), S3-S7.
- Cooper, J.S.., S.J. Lee, J. Elter, J. Boussu, S. Bomanc, "Life cycle design metrics for energy generation technologies: method, data, and case study" Journal of Power Sources 186 (1) 138-157 (2009).
- Nechodom, M., D. Schuetzle, D. Ganz, M. Summers, J.S. Cooper, "Sustainable Forests and the Environment," Environmental Science and Technology, 42 (1) 13-18 (2008).
- Cooper, J.S., "Teaching Life Cycle Assessment to Interdisciplinary Graduate Students," International Journal of Engineering Education, 23(6) 1090-1095 (2007).
- Wincewicz, K.C., J.S. Cooper, "Review and analysis of SOFC design and manufacturing alternatives," Journal of Power Sources, 140, 280-296 (2005).
- Mehta, V., J.S. Cooper, "Review and analysis of PEM fuel cell design and manufacturing," Journal of Power Sources, 114 (1) 32-53 (2003).
- Rounds, K.S., J.S. Cooper, "Development of Product Design Requirements using Taxonomies of Environmental Concerns," Research in Engineering Design, 13, 94-108 (2002).