- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1989
- M.S., University of Washington, 1982
- B.S., University of Washington, 1976
Professor Dahl's research is in the area of acoustics, with primary focus on underwater sound. He is a member of the Acoustics Department of the Applied Physics Laboratory.
Research areas include:
- Underwater ambient and shipping noise
- Vector acoustic properties of underwater and airborne sound
- Underwater noise from high-energy explosives including the physical effects on fish
He has conducted several ocean-going experiments in underwater acoustics throughout the world’s oceans. Professor Dahl is a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA), has served as the chair of the ASA technical committee on Underwater Acoustics (2002-2005), on its Executive Council (2008-2011), and was the ASA Vice President (2013-2014).
Some examples representing his research are included the following works:
- P. H. Dahl, A. K. Jenkins, B. Casper, S. E. Kotecki, V. Bowman, C. Boerger, D. R. Dall’Osto, M. A. Babina, and A. N. Popper, Physical Effects of Sound Exposure from Underwater Explosions on Pacific Sardines (Sardinops sagax), J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 139, 311-319, May 2020.
- P. H. Dahl and D.R. Dall’Osto, Vector acoustic analysis of time-separated arrivals from explosive sound sources during the 2017 Seabed Characterization Experiment, IEEE J. Oceanic Engineering, 45, 131-143, 2020.
- P. S. Wilson, D. P. Knobles, P. H. Dahl, A. R. McNeese, and M. C. Zeh, (2019). Short-range signatures of explosive sounds in shallow water used for seabed characterization, IEEE J. Oceanic Engineering, 45, 1-12, 2020.
- P. H. Dahl and D.R. Dall’Osto, On the underwater sound field from impact pile driving: Arrival structure, precursor arrivals, and energy streamlines J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 142, 1141-1155, Aug. 2017.
- D.R. Dall’Osto, J. W. Choi and P. H. Dahl, Measurement of acoustic particle motion in shallow water and its application to geoacoustic inversion, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 139, 311-319, Jan. 2016.
- A. G. Soloway, P. H. Dahl and R. I. Odom, Modeling explosion generated Scholte waves in sandy sediments with power law dependent shear wave speed, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Express Letters, 138 370-374, Oct. 2015.
- A. G. Soloway and P. H. Dahl, Peak sound pressure and sound exposure level from underwater explosions in shallow water, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Express Letters 136, 218-223, Sep. 2014.
- D.R. Dall’Osto and P. H. Dahl, Elliptical acoustic particle motion in underwater waveguides, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 134, 109-118, July 2013.
- D.R. Dall’Osto and P. H. Dahl, Properties of the acoustic intensity vector field in a shallow water waveguide, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 131, 2023-2035, Mar. 2012