Senior Principal Engineer, Applied Physics Laboratory
- (206) 543-2667
- HND 283
- Acoustics Department of the Applied Physics Laboratory
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1989
- M.S., University of Washington, 1982
- B.S., University of Washington, 1976
Professor Dahl's research is in the area of acoustics, with primary focus on underwater sound. He is a member of the Acoustics Department of the Applied Physics Laboratory.
His research includes:
- Underwater acoustic remote sensing
- Acoustic scattering and reflection from the sea surface and sea bed
- Vector properties of underwater sound and including studies on detection of air-borne impulsive signals
- Studies on underwater noise from explosives and marine pile driving
He has conducted several ocean-going experiments in underwater acoustics, including the Asian Seas International Acoustics Experiment (ASIAEX) sponsored by the U.S. Office of Naval Research and conducted in the East China Sea (ECS) involving the U.S., China and Korea; Professor Dahl was U.S. chief scientist for ASIAEX-ECS.
Professor Dahl is a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA), has served as the chair of the ASA technical committee on Underwater Acoustics (2002-2005), on its Executive Council (2008-2011), and was the ASA Vice President (2013-2014).
- P. H. Dahl and D.R. Dall’Osto, Observations of sea surface directional wave spectra during the 2013 Targets and Reverberation Experiment (TREX13) and relation to mid-frequency sonar, IEEE J. Oceanic Engineering, doi: 10.1109/JOE.2016.2597718, September 2016.
- A. G. Soloway, P. H. Dahl and R. I. Odom, Modeling explosion generated Scholte waves in sandy sediments with power law dependent shear wave speed, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Express Letters, 138 370-374, Oct. 2015.
- P. H. Dahl, D.R. Dall’Osto and D.M. Farrell, The underwater sound field from vibratory pile driving, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 137, 3544-3554, June 2015.
- P.H. Dahl, C. A. F. de Jong, and A. N. Popper, The Underwater Sound Field from Impact Pile Driving and its Potential Effects on Marine Life, Acoustics Today 18-25, Spring 2015.
- A. G. Soloway and P. H. Dahl, Peak sound pressure and sound exposure level from underwater explosions in shallow water, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Express Letters, 136 (3) 218-223, Sep. 2014.
- P. H. Dahl, W. J. Plant and D.R. Dall’Osto, Vertical coherence and forward scattering from the sea surface and the relation to the directional wave spectrum, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 134 (3), 1843-1853, Sept. 2013.
- D.R. Dall’Osto and P. H. Dahl, Elliptical acoustic particle motion in underwater waveguides, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 134 (1), 109-118, July 2013.
- P. H. Dahl and P. G. Reinhall, Beam forming of the underwater sound field from impact pile driving, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Express Letters, 134 (1) 1-6, July 2013.
- D. R. Dall’Osto, P. H. Dahl, and J. W. Choi, Properties of the acoustic intensity vector field in a shallow water waveguide , J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 131 (3) 2023-2035, Mar. 2012.