- (206) 543-5388
- MEB 222
- Faculty Website
- Scale-independent Multimodal Automated Real Time Systems (SMARTS) Lab
Ashis Banerjee joined the department as an assistant professor in the fall of 2015. Prior to this appointment, he was a research scientist in the
Complex Systems Engineering Laboratory at General Electric Global
Research, and a postdoctoral associate in the Computer Science and
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at Massachusetts Institute of
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland
- B.Tech. in Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Dr. Banerjee's research is on developing automated decision-making methods for cyber-physical systems to achieve optimal and robust performances. Such systems include multiple, heterogeneous entities (humans, robots, smart devices, passive components, etc.) and occur at widely varying spatial and temporal scales from controlled micro-bio environments to large manufacturing and healthcare enterprises. The methods have to be novel to address unsolved challenges, theoretically sound to provide performance guarantees, and both computationally efficient and easily realizable to be practically useful. These requirements lead us to adopt a cyclic approach involving the tight coupling of mathematical and physical modeling of system dynamics, model-based stochastic planning and control, and system behavior data-driven knowledge leading to continuous model refinement.
Dr. Banerjee's work has been recognized with several awards and honors, including the 2012 Most Cited Paper Award from the Computer-Aided Design Journal, the 2009 Best Dissertation Award from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maryland, and the 2009 George Harhalakis Outstanding Systems Engineering Graduate Student Award from the Institute for Systems Research at the University of Maryland.
- W. Guo and A. G. Banerjee. Toward Automated Prediction of Manufacturing Productivity Based on Feature Selection Using Topological Data Analysis. In Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Assembly and Manufacturing, Ft. Worth, TX, 2016.
- M. Bollavaram, P. Sane, S. Chowdhury, S. K. Gupta, and A. G. Banerjee. Automated Detection of Live Cells and Microspheres in Low Contrast Bright Field Microscopy. In Proceedings of International Conference on Manipulation, Automation and Robotics at Small Scales, Paris, France, 2016.
- A. G. Banerjee, M. Khan, J. Higgins, and A. K. Das. Discovering and Validating Breast Cancer Treatment Correlations using an Associative Memory Model and Statistical Methods. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics, Dallas, TX, 2015.
- A. G. Banerjee, W. Yund, D. Yang, P. Koudal, J. Carbone, and J. Salvo. A Hybrid Statistical Method for Accurate Prediction of Supplier Delivery Times of Aircraft Engine Parts. In Proceedings of ASME Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, Boston, MA, 2015.
- A. G. Banerjee, S. Chowdhury, and S. K. Gupta. Optical Tweezers: Autonomous Robots for the Manipulation of Biological Cells. IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, 21(3): 81-88, 2014.
- J. C. Ryan, A. G. Banerjee, M. L. Cummings, and N. Roy. Comparing the Performance of Expert User Heuristics and an Integer Linear Program in Aircraft Carrier Deck Operations. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 44(6): 761-773, 2014.
- A. G. Banerjee, S. Chowdhury, W. Losert, and S. K. Gupta. Real-Time Path Planning for Coordinated Transport of Multiple Particles using Optical Tweezers. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 9(4): 669-678, 2012.
- A. G. Banerjee, S. Chowdhury, W. Losert, and S. K. Gupta. Survey on Indirect Optical Manipulation of Cells, Nucleic Acids, and Motor Proteins. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 16(5): 051302, 2011.
- S. Tellex, T. Kollar, S. Dickerson, M. R. Walter, A. G. Banerjee, S. Teller, and N. Roy. Understanding Natural Language Commands for Robotic Navigation and Mobile Manipulation. In Proceedings of AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, San Francisco, CA, 2011.
- A. G. Banerjee, A. Pomerance, W. Losert, and S. K. Gupta. Developing a Stochastic Dynamic Programming Framework for Optical Tweezer based Automated Particle Transport Operations. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 7(2): 218-227, 2010.
- A. G. Banerjee and S. K. Gupta. Geometric Algorithms for Automated Design of Side Actions in Injection Molding of Complex Parts. Computer-Aided Design, 39(10): 882-897, 2007.
- A. G. Banerjee, X. Li, G. Fowler, and S.K. Gupta. Incorporating Manufacturability Considerations during Design of Injection Molded Multi-Material Objects. Research in Engineering Design, 17(4): 207-231, 2007.