- Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, 1998
- M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida
- B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993
Dr. Devin MacKenzie is the Washington Research Foundation Professor of Clean Energy and an Associate Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and Mechanical Engineering at UW. Devin is a scientist, research leader and seed stage entrepreneur with 17 years of experience in printable and flexible electronic materials and integrated systems. He is currently the CEO of Imprint Energy, a UC Berkeley spin-out developing flexible, high energy batteries based on large-area print manufacturing. Previously, as the CTO of Add-Vision, Inc., Dr. MacKenzie led R&D of materials and processing for roll-to-roll printed flexible OLED displays. Prior to Add-Vision, he initiated and led printed Si GHz RF device, laser processing and product engineering at Kovio, Inc., an MIT Media Lab spinout.
Dr. MacKenzie also co-founded the first ink jet printed electronics company, Plastic Logic, from the University of Cambridge while he was in the Dept. of Physics as a post doc and later a visiting scientist researching solution-processed photovoltaics, phase separation in optoelectronic polymer blends and surface-directed self assembly of device nanostructures. Prior to that he worked in InGaAsP defect analysis at AT&T Bell Labs in Murray Hill.
Dr. MacKenzie has over 110 patents and publications and doctorate, master’s, and undergraduate degrees in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Florida and MIT. He has received numerous awards including being elected to the Cleantech 100 two years in a row as well as being recognized for leading one of the Top 50 Smartest Companies of 2015 by the MIT Technology Review.
Honors and awards
- Global Cleantech 100 Award 2014
- R&D Award FlexTech Alliance 2014
- Best Product Development Award: Ultrathin energy storage for flexible, thin wireless electronics, Printed Electronics USA 2013
- Invited Speaker to the World Summit on Innovation Entrepreneurship, "On Reshaping the Battery Landscape", 2013